According to history peacocks were brought to Egypt more than three thousand years ago by the Phoenicians.
• Peacocks have an average lifespan of twenty years in the wild.
• Indian Peacock is the national bird of India.In the wild in India they are a favourite food of leopards and tigers.
• Technically, only males are peacocks. Females are peahens, and together, they are called peafowl.
• Peacocks do not just fan out their tails, they vibrate them too, making a rattling sound and showing off the shimmering colors.
• Peacocks get most of their color from light reflection rather than a dye. The feathers have barbs, which in turn have rods. It is these rods that controls how light reflects and produces the green, golden yellow, brown and bright blue.
• They generally lay 10-12 eggs.
• The end of each train feather boasts what resembles an eye. Scientifically, these are called ocellus.